NIFT-TEA COLLEGE OF KNITWEAR FASHION is the only college in the globe to specialize in knitwear fashion education, research and consultancy. We offer a unique portfolio of courses that aim to reflect the breadth of opportunity available in this vibrant creative industry. Whether a student's passion is for fashion designing, merchandising, textile processing or apparel production, the philosophy of all our courses is to offer creative development alongside a strong vocational slant.
About the Department
The Department of Apparel Fashion Designing offers a 3-year (6 Semesters) B.Sc., Programme in Fashion Designing. This programme is conducted as per the Curriculum & syllabus of the Bharathiar University, Coimbatore. B.Sc Apparel Fashion Designing course is designed to cater for the knitwear industry’s need with more creative and professional approach required in the post WTO era. We train the students to create magic with colors, designs and shapes and also acquire apt professional skills to begin a successful career in Fashion Designing. The course includes all subjects relating to the technical, creative and managerial aspects of apparel manufacturing starting from a two dimensional design on paper to three dimensional garment. Designing and Manufacturing versatile clothing with emphasis on Computer Aided Designing and Manufacturing technologies enable the students to carry a wide creative knowledge from the institution. The course also prepares the students to understand the ins and outs of the industry through their internship, craft documentation and Earn while Learn scheme. Though it is a demanding career we mould the students to combine their creativity with managerial skills to sustain in this industry. The expertise of our highly experienced industry professionals ensures that the students are kept aware of changing demands and opportunities within the knitwear industry. Many of our faculties combine teaching with careers within the industry. This allows them to pass on invaluable knowledge to students, on the latest technologies, techniques and trends. Additional Training: During summer vacation one month practical training is given to all pre-final year students in reputed garment units and a craft relating to creative application of mind has to be learnt and documented by the first year students which keeps their vacations engaged. Students visit garment units frequently and volunteer themselves for the different fairs as when they are held to learn more about recent developments in knitwear fashion arena.
- To prepare the students to occupy positions in the upper echelons of the industry by imparting knowledge in fashion illustration, portfolio preparation and design collection besides in depth and extensive knowledge in all the segments of apparel industry.
- To satisfy both the creative fancies and the materialistic needs of the knitwear industries in Tirupur and to prove that the course promises fame, success and high pay packages to the talented people.
- To be the global knowledge resource centre for the knitwear industry with a wide perspective on fashion to envisage the young minds with creative outcomes.
In addition to modern textile laboratories in fabric production, textile chemical processing, textile and apparel testing, garment manufacturing, the following specialized laboratories are available exclusively for the department.
- Designing Hall Basic Sketching, Model Drawing, Colour Theory and portfolio preparations are made in a well built-in hall specially designed to contemplate the sketching talent in the students.
- Draping Hall A well-equipped draping hall with the modern mannequins to display the creations of the students and adequate number of dress forms to bring forth the conversion of two dimensional fabrics to a three dimensional apparel form.
- Resource Centre - The resource Centre is being set up with well-documented design collection of the students in albums, various types of trims and accessories used on the garments, latest news in the Fashion and Apparel Industry. Resource Centre will also display the fabrics, textures, Pantone colours and fashion forecast for various seasons in the world apparel market. It serves as a reference point for students of fashion designing.
- Fashion Studio - The fashion studio is about to be setup with modern digital photo and video equipments with necessary lighting equipments for portfolio preparation, apparel product presentation, modeling and visual merchandising with the state-of-the art technologies.
- Students of B.Sc Apparel Fashion Designing participated in the various national level technical symposiums conducted in different parts of the nation and won laurels for the institute.
- The department organized a State Level Design Contest on 1st February 2010 inviting young designers from different locations of the state to pool out the designing capabilities.
- The department is currently working on the designing of Knitwear using Eri silk yarns, a project continued with the Central Silk Board, Bangalore.